ATTACKS by suspected terrorists in six different locations in central Vienna on Monday have led to the death of two persons, including one of the assailants.
15 persons were wounded in the attacks carried out by suspected terrorists who opened fire on people enjoying a last night out at Vienna’s cafes and restaurants before a coronavirus lockdown.
Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said, it was a “repulsive terror attack.
“We are victims of a despicable terror attack in the federal capital that is still ongoing.
“One of the perpetrators was neutralized, but several perpetrators appear to still be on the loose.
“They seem to also, as far as we know, be very well equipped, with automatic weapons.
“So, they were very well prepared.”
Police said several shots were fired shortly after 8 p.m. (1900 GMT) on a lively street in the city center and that there were six shooting locations.
Reacting to the attacks, French President Emmanuel Macron said, “We the French people share the shock and grief of the Austrian people, struck this evening by an attack in the heart of their capital, Vienna.
“After France, a friend of ours is attacked. This is our Europe. Our enemies must know who they are dealing with.”
Also, the UK prime minister also said the country’s “thoughts are with the people of Austria – we stand united with you against terror” while Home Secretary Priti Patel said “we stand ready to support in any way we can”.
President Donald Trump tweeted, “Our prayers are with the people of Vienna after yet another vile act of terrorism in Europe.
“These evil attacks against innocent people must stop.”
Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said the army had been asked to guard key locations in the city as hundreds of heavily armed police hunted for the gunmen.
He urged people in Vienna to stay indoors and avoid the city center and encouraged parents not to send their children to school on Tuesday.